Thursday, August 7, 2008

Do what you ***GOTTA** Do...

So, I finally ran out of room in my design book. This required me to buy another little book to keep my challenges, DT stuff, quotes, and other assorted fun stuff in. {You know me - little Miss Organization!!} I found this perfectly sized little recycled paper book in kraft color. I loved it - as well as it being on sale - so I bought it. Then I got home and decided ... I need to cover this because, while perfectly sized, brown is boring.

So, here's what I came up with:
I love the bright colors and the ribbon tie on it. The brown paper is pretty cool too. It is really bright and cheerful, which makes me happy. I am trying to find a cute quote about making your own happiness to put on the cover. Suggestions? Throw it in the comment section.

In the front, I doodled a little saying I heard yesterday in my Business Writing seminar that I really connected with... It was
Don't let your EXISTENCE rob you of your ESSENCE...

{We spent some time discussing this. I know, I know... Business writing? But, the professor, Dave Robey, was a really terrific lecturer. He had all kinds of great sayings that I kept doodling in this mini book.} But, back to the statement... Existence is what you do: your job, your commitments, your actions... Essence is who you are as a person: your heart, your mind, your choices... To me, it reminds me that life is all about balance. My existence (job) has taken over my essence (life) a lot within the last 10 years. The corporate world can be very hard on a woman - constantly trying to earn respect in a male-dominated field in order to receive equal pay and equivalent promotion. A lot of times, I find myself giving up to much of that balance - stressing myself out because a build is going poorly or a project is a minefield - to the existence side of things. I put this statement in the beginning of the book because Scrapping is more than just a hobby... it's a balance maker. It allows me to step back and reevaluate my life, my role as a parent, my relationships. It goes hand in hand with another one of his good statements:

Money is a motivator, not a satisfier.

This is sooo true. Yes, money can motivate you do to a lot of things but can you ever truly be satisfied with just money? I say no... I would love to have it (Think of all the great things you could do with it) but the problem with money is that once you have it, you just want to have more and more. So, you are never truly satisfied.

Well, that's enough philosophy on my part. I would have a bunch more stuff to post tonight but I ran out of adhesive... Yep! I ran out of adhesive! I can't believe I did that. I haven't done that in like 5 years! I had all these mini books prepped and nothing to put them together with. Guess they will have to wait until tomorrow, after I can pick up some more glue. Sigh! I'm such a dork!

I guess I should go to bed. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow - looks like I have another double ear infection (2nd time in 6 months). Wonder if they put tubes in at my age? :)

I guess I'll just continue to "do what I gotta do"... {Guess the singer yet? He's my favorite! Good ole Garth Brooks!}

No comments: