Friday, November 12, 2010

Gratitude journal - day 11

Today, I am grateful for all men and women that have given their lives to defend our country.

To celebrate Veterans Day, I decided to go to Arlington National Cemetery to participate in their annual Memorial Service. There's just something about this place that is so powerful. Maybe it was the fall wind whipping through the gravestones and the spirits of these extremely brave men and women who have given everything in service to our country that just put the tingle on your skin.

Of course, since the VP was speaking, we had to be there early, but I brought a book and listened to the President's band play patriotic music. Very touching. I looked around and I was excited to see so many young people. It was refreshing because they weren't always with parents.

When the canons started to go off (21x), the VP had arrived. He laid a wretch at the tomb of the Unknown Soldiers and then joined us in the Amphitheater. The VP had a nice speech, honoring those who had fallen and reiterating our job as Americans is to thank these Veterans daily for service, not just wait until 11/11 to do so.

One of the best parts of the service was this guy singing. What a voice!! He obviously loves doing it too. This was the end of God Bless America.

It was a nice day - 50s and sunny. I looked up as I was leaving and the sun was framed just right...

After the service, I walked to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers to watch the wretch presentations by each of the Veterans organizations before heading home.

Of course, these morons (right side of the pic) decided to try and ruin everyone's day but honestly, most people just walked right by without even looking. The Harley riders kept them from coming anywhere near anyone. Thanks!!

I hope you spent an enjoyable Veterans day as well, honoring those who have paid the ultimate price. I want to thank all those in my life who have or are serving. There are too many of you to list - but I thank each one of you for everything you do! :)

No comments: