Friday, May 16, 2008

Another Curse in our Lives

It's a curse... a rotton, horrible curse... but it's our jobs!

As an automotive engineer in a "just-in-time" manner, it always seems that the crap hits the fan when a holiday is coming up. Obviously, next weekend is Memorial Day. I have big plans... plans that include me getting on a plane and flying out to see friends I haven't seen in 5 years... and now, the crap rains down from my customer on an issue and suddenly it's like Christmas 2001, or Easter 2006 or Mother's Day 2006 or July 4th, 2006 or... well the holidays go on and on... It seems like each holiday is a magnet for trouble for my job...

Steve's is the same way. He's currently in 80-hr work weeks and will be through the majority of the summer. That's insane, you say? It's the government! Wait until the last minute and everything still has to be done by the deadline, even if the data isn't populated or there are still errors in the code. He's had a headache for 4 days constantly and is so stressed out.

So far, the customer is being "reasonable" by letting me wait until Monday to rework the parts. Who knows if it will last though. Sigh! I am still going though. I want to relax in Virginia Beach with my buddies... Robin says that she's got wireless that "stretches" out to the beach...

Vacation and a day off can't get here fast enough...

No comments: